Monday, June 2, 2008

Challenges Ahead

Sunday: A very late night, coupled with kids making mischief, led to me deciding not to run this morning. I was a little regretful later as I saw it had been raining, and it has been a while since I ran in the glorious rain. I spent some time looking up races I can do this month, constantly being urged to do a 10miler, but that sometimes feels like over-optimism. But I wonder, I have done two 6.22milers (10km), perhaps the 10miler isn't so big a leap? I am being constantly accused of being negative about my running, moaning about it, but on much reflection, I disagree I am that right now. I don't think I have felt more positive about my running, I feel rather bouyed by the knowledge of having done 4 races, each a great challenge for me. One runner's realism may be another runner's pessimism, perhaps, and I think I have been fairly realistic. Till now, anyway... I was perhaps seduced by the huge faith of others in my abilities, when this evening, I accepted my first fetch challenge. A fetchie has challenged me to do within 30miles of his total mileage for June. I thought, interesting... till I read his training log, which details his having done 119miles in May alone - compare this with my having done 140 odd miles in FIVE months of training. However, he has had 'worse' months, and after the initial indignant and shocked state subsided, a voice inside me said, go oooonnnn... So I did :o) I accepted the challenge, and yes, the odds may be stacked against this overweight, puffing newbie, but who says the underdog always loses? ;o) It's another motivating factor for me, to do the extra mile when I train. My realistic hat says I won't be able to win the challenge and I know that. But it will be something exciting for me, something to challenge me. The half marathon will be a real challenge on its own, and me accepting the fetch challenge should work with it, help me focus harder, work harder, enjoy the journey more. Another fetchie informed me of a race in Liverpool after my half marathon, which gave me food for thought, I have never thought about running there before. But it is definitely something I will consider, having a soft spot for a city I have barely seen. Tomorrow was supposed to be a rest day, at the start of a new programme, but I have decided to run. My other half is away from Tuesday to Friday, and the thought of not being able to run is a great cause for concern (my daughter is still on school holidays this week). But I hope to try and work something out, somehow. Challenges indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good-luck with that challenge 'Newbie'.
You can do anything you set your mind to, and are capable of accomplishing whatever you trully believe in.
You are always very bright, cheerful, and have a warm heart and am very intelligent, kind, strong, unique, courageous, and special.
Wish there was more peolpe like you about in the world.

Georgia D's Dad.