Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Easy Running and Improving Moods

Wednesday: Woke up this morning not wanting to wake up, despite 7hours' sleep, and I seriously considered resting instead of running. However, my mood was slightly more positive than in previous days, so off I half-dragged myself. Still no hat and the sun shone strongly, the positivity was draining fast. But I decided to take things easy, it was my third day out in a row, which my program advises against, so I could afford to relax today. I ran for 19mins 33secs, covering 2.66km, and I would have kept going if it wasn't for my shoelace coming undone; I continued despite it for a little, but a voice in my head nagged me that I would regret it if I injured myself needlessly. I drank some tropical fruit-flavoured Powerade during the run, which tasted good, but it was undrinkable outwith the running. Also, I attempted talking while running, which was the challenge I expected it to be, and I don't plan to make a habit of it. My breathing wasn't as controlled as it should have been and I became out of breath faster as a result. After my run, I walked for a long time, covering around 4-5 miles. At the end of the day, my right calf aches and feels stiff, but I know a longer run would have meant it would be feeling worse. Tomorrow is a definite rest day, as my daughter is home for the Easter holidays, and my son will be off from Friday. It will be tougher to negotiate time for running in the coming fortnight but I am optimistic I can find a way. Rest days may become regular, in line with the training program, so I am preparing myself to accept those days will be beneficial to my right calf in particular. I've noticed for the last few weeks that kneeling to see to the kids for even a short time, causes me to half limp when I get up, as the right leg stiffens completely. The feet are starting to blister and ache more, but nothing serious at the moment. I plan to buy sports socks to help the feet cope, as the organic cotton pairs I currently use are feeling too thin and unsupportive as time goes on. Next running day should be Friday, all being well. And I found my hat, the least flattering one of the two I have, but at least I won't be feeling so naked on Friday :o)

No comments: