Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Rest Day By Choice

Wednesday: I rested myself today, partly out of advice, partly because I saw how much the weekend rest affected my performance for Monday. I had planned to walk today and not run at all, so it would still be like resting. However, I awoke today with very little energy, craving more sleep. So after dropping the kids off, I came back home and napped on the sofa, exhausted. I guess my body is craving sleep and rest a lot more than my head wants it to, and sometimes listening to the body is the better idea. I also felt very hungry today, though food isn't settling as well as it should, my stomach always feels delicate. Cereal goes down fine, as do sandwiches and cereal bars, which is some relief. In the three weeks I have been running, I have lost 6 pounds, though I have been into healthy eating for much longer. That is pleasing, clothes that were too tight before, fit me now, and overall, I feel better about myself and level of fitness. I have a lot of excess weight but the the speed of loss is medically acceptable as being neither too fast or too slow. I don't plan to weigh myself too much, it is usually a depressing experience, but it's uplifting to know my body is changing in a positive way. I managed to get the greattrainer.org 10k plan from my runner mate, which I know will be a huge help to my training. I have looked at it briefly and it worried me, as it appears I am supposed to be doing 10 and 15min runs this week (week 1 of 16). At mid week, I have only managed to do 8mins in successful repetition. I will look at the plan more closely to understand how behind I am and how to work on getting on target. The thought of being behind already is frustrating and makes me wonder if I should have rested at all; but knowing I have plenty of time ahead of me makes me less apprehensive and more determined to make sure I am ready on time.

No comments: