Sunday, February 10, 2008

End of Week 2/16 - Reflection

Sunday: The fourth rest day of the week, in accordance with the great trainer programme. Again, I was preoccupied with guests, and despite the desire to go running first thing today, I was truly too fatigued to put the plan into action. I did a lot of walking today, as I went shopping, and a lot of leg stretches, as both calves were sensitive today. The right one is much more of a pain, ready to cramp or ache at the smallest thing. I'm glad it hasn't prevented me from making progress, though. This week has been a solid week, I feel. I trained above what was recommended and still felt great. I followed the number of rest and training days as advised, which I hope will reap results in my performance next week. I am pleased that I am running for longer periods, that is a fantastic feeling. Focusing on endurance at the expense of speed has allowed to me to make good progress. The main worry for me, and for most runners anyway, is that of potential injury. I avoid running on grass, despite it apparently being a better surface to run on, because it is so muddy these days, I fear slipping and injuring myself. I am trying to be sensible about staying injury-free, and at the same time, I push myself to the limits to be ready in time for both Great Runs, which is a challenge indeed. Next week is a case of continuing to focus on endurance, and drink more water and eat healthily. I plan to keep monitoring how much distance I'm covering, to see how I am really progressing.

No comments: