Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Fighting To Get Better

Wednesday: Resting, partly to follow the training program and partly due to my cold. Much sneezing, coughing and drowsiness today. To combat it all, I have been drinking lots of coffee to stay alert and get chores done, and lots of Lucozade to keep my energy up. My body feels very tired, whilst the caffeine is helping my brain stay awake. At the end of the day, I can report my right knee and calf feel more achey than usual, perhaps due to my cold, and I have no idea if I am running tomorrow. I have short periods of feeling fine, then end up sneezing lots and collapsing onto the sofa because standing takes too much out of me. So it's a case of seeing how I feel in the morning. I would probably have not considered running tomorrow at all and given my body that extra day to recover, if not for the fact that, in my semi-ill state, I decided to enter a 5km Run in April. It's the Salford Run, very cheap to do (£5), and it seemed silly not to do it, because it is both great training practice for the Great Runs in May and it's in the very park I train in. My online personal trainer has set me a 35min target for the Salford Run, which is becoming very much in line with the trainer's over optimistic nature. I plan to think about targets nearer to the 5km Run, when I am feeling better and am more confident with my running. I found out about the Salford Run from the fetch website, which has a directory of most, if not all, the races in the country. So, with my first race in less than two months, I really do not have time to be ill, hence my hoping to be out running tomorrow. As the weather improves, the park is filling up with runners and I have yet to see one as slow and as unfit as me, thus the anxiety grows. But anxiety on its own is pointless, I need to do something about it, and as I sit surrounded by tissues and vapour rub, I am hoping to get better as soon as possible.

No comments: