Sunday, February 24, 2008

Reflecting On A Mixed Week

Sunday: I had hoped to be up at dawn, but after a late night, I slept in and was finally out running in the early afternoon. I covered 3.77 miles in 56 mins, and they were very long 56mins indeed. I did the usual two 15min runs, but I found them incredibly tough, I was in pain and struggling to breathe for both runs. I could put it partly down to my infection, and the antibiotics I am taking, but also, I kept forgetting to breathe properly and I wasn't concentrating hard enough. I have found these two things to be essential for me to have a good and effective run. My mind was very preoccupied, perhaps it is possible to think too hard to the point of total distraction from the task in hand. I had a bottle of water with me but it felt as if it just sat in my stomach and swished around. The Lucozade had been so much better, but I wonder if it is right for me to depend on the drink considering my low mileage; I have learned from the running forum that some other runners are depending on a drink after big distances, my own distances pale in comparison. However, water was no great help to me at all today. I was really frustrated by my body shutting down on me, and I surprised myself by managing two 15min runs, I was verging on passing out, from the sheer effort of it all. Perhaps it was the water that made the vital difference and let me make my targets.
The week has been a mixed bag indeed and it ended in an extremely disappointing way. The highlight was managing three 15min runs and still feeling great, and the low point was today, finding no enjoyment in the run at all. The right calf is aching again and the body feels very tired. I plan to rest tomorrow, keeping a rest between running and also giving me time to get back to normal physically.

No comments: