Thursday, February 7, 2008

Running and Pushing

Wednesday: I was an eager beaver this morning, dying to get back to the park. It had rained overnight and it was bitterly cold like the last few runs, despite the sun being out. Still, I was so pleased to be back out there. I did a lot of stretching and loosening my body, it felt incredibly stiff and tight this morning. The plan advised a 15min run; I managed a 16min run, 6minwalk, then an 18min run. I had intended to do two 15min runs, but went over because towards the end of each run, songs came on the radio that just had to be run along to. That was a great feeling, ending a run out of choice and not out of desperation looking at the stopwatch. That said, I did find the middle periods of both runs very tough. I try to stick to flat or downhill paths usually, but today, I made the effort not to avoid steeper gradients. Since I am training for two Great Runs now, I feel the need to push myself harder, especially when I am not feeling major aches and pains at the end of a day of running. My right calf was aching after the first run, hence the long walk before then second run, but no other aches to report. I found myself watching the paths for cracks and unevenness while i ran, I am feeling more conscious of the danger of injuring myself, especially as I am training harder than the official training plan advises. I bumped into a fellow parent at school who is doing the Great Manchester Run, and she told me she needed knee pads now because her knees were so painful from her training. This woman is less than ten years older than me, but a lot fitter and more experienced, and so hearing that made me slightly anxious. I guess as long as I use any anxiety I have to make me train more safely, that is the main thing. I'm just very much enjoying the feeling of satisfaction after a good run, as well as the peace and solitude of the journey. On the charity side of things, the British Heart Foundation finally got back to me and have me registered as officially running for them for both Great Runs. I am pleased, and now I just wait for their sponsorship forms, so I can start getting people to sponsor me. I am meeting a friend for dinner next week, who I hope will rope in her work colleagues into sponsoring me, and also, I am planning to corner family members this weekend for the cause. I will be announcing my entry in the two Great Runs to them, which will no doubt be met by a mixture of surprise and laughs, which is fine, as long as they dig deep for charity :o)

No comments: