Monday, February 4, 2008

Week 2/16 Towards The Great Run

Monday: As decided over the weekend, I went running today, chomping at the bit after a two day rest. It was icy cold but the sun was shining. There was a lot of ice on the path, and after reading a lot about other runners getting injuries on the OU running forum, I was very wary of my speed on the icy bits. I warmed up with an 8min walk, lomger than usual but necessary when it was so cold. Then I did two 10min runs, seperated by a 2min walk. The plan advised one 10min run, so it feels good to be doing more. The first run felt very hard towards the end, which surprised me as I expected more from myself, having had lots of rest. The second run was really difficult in the last 3mins. I didn't plan to run more but then I heard a song on the radio that had to be run along to, so after a 2min walk, I burst into a vigorous and energetic run for around 2mins, concentrating on speed. That was a great rush, really invigorating, and actually I was surprised I had that in me. Today's run felt good, I find the hotter and sweatier I am at the end, the more I enjoyed it. At the end of the day, I have again no aches to report, which is making me wonder whether I push myself hard enough, as I hear of others having many tired limbs and aches. My only moan is my right calf, as always, which I massage, keep elevated and straight. I have received a lot of advice and information from my runner friend about the importance of rest days, which the OU running forum members echo. Muscle needs time to recover and whilst it all makes sense and I know it is proven advice, I am struggling to fight my instinct that wants me to run every day. I am getting a great deal out of my running, more on an emotional level than a physical level these days, hence the desire to run more and frustration over the plan's advice to rest. Tomorrow is technically a rest day, but the thought of not going to the park to run is actually very depressing for me. How things change, from me scoffing at runners months ago, to becoming virtually obsessed with it :o) The idea of doing the Great Edinburgh Run started as a joke with a friend, but I have been reading up on the event, which takes place 2 weeks before the one in Manchester. There is something exhilirating, and poetic, about doing my first big run in my home city, but with the short time gap between the two Great Runs, I wonder how wise it would be to do both. However, doing my first big run in Edinburgh would be a fantastic experience, it would perhaps mean more to me than doing the one in Manchester. I shall be seeking advice over the matter, as the idea of doing both runs won't leave my head.

No comments: