Sunday, February 3, 2008

Week 4 - Reflection

Sunday: I cannot believe it's been four weeks already, nearly a month. It feels somehow shorter and longer than that, simultaneously. This week has pleased me, I have made so much progress, my body has surprised me. I started the week off with 4min runs and I ended the week on a 15min run. I was keen to get to that 15min mark as soon as I read the greattrainer.org plan for my 10k run. Today, I got a lot of rest, in between a lot of shopping, and I am being careful not to bend my right leg so much. I have noticed I have been really craving junk food the last few days, and I am concerned I have had too much of it. It increases my desire to get out for a run to burn it off. However, I am learning how important the rest days are, and am trying to accept that they are part of the training plan. Tomorrow sees the start of week 2 of 16, counting down to the Great Manchester Run. The plan reads as follows: Mon-Rest, Tues-10mins easy jog, Wed-Rest, Thurs-15mins easy jog, Fri-Rest, Sat-Rest, Sun-15min jog. The amount of rest greattrainer.org prescribes never ceases to surprise me, but I know runners world are the same, and they are the experts after all. I will be adjusting the plan to suit my personal commitments, so I am planning - 10mins; Rest; 15mins; Rest; 15mins; Rest; Rest. That order means I am still taking four days off as rest and doing 3 days of runs. So I am running tomorrow, and after feeling quite lethargic and all junk-food-ed up this weekend, I am really eager to get out there. I found an online forum to chat to other running enthusiasts which is very exciting for me. I am probably the newest and most inexperienced person there but it is great to be able to learn from others and of course, be able to rave or moan about incidents in the company of those who understand :o)

1 comment:

317resit said...

Every time you run your muscles are damaged, rest days give your muscles time to recover from the wear and tear of running, also your muscle grows during rest days, if you don't rest you WILL become injured.