Monday, March 10, 2008

Disappointed and Frustrated

Monday: Absolutely terrible start to the week. Whilst I was lucky that Manchester escaped most of the awful weather some parts of the country witnessed, I had my worst run to date and it has left me extremely annoyed and disappointed. I had aimed to do either 20mins of running or 'one lap' of a route I had planned. The lap would take longer than 20mins but that was a target based on my body feeling overly energetic, and 20mins was my minimum acceptable standard. I did around 15mins of walking to warm up, longer than usual, but that was how long it took to get to my starting point. It was wet and cold, nothing out of the ordinary with the weather, even the sun was shining at intervals. The run began fine and as I moved towards an uphill slope, I coped in my usual gasping but persevering manner. Judging by the music I was listening to, I thought I was going faster than usual, but I felt fine as I turned to go downhill. However, as I approached flatter ground, the legs started to die on me. I had already been experiencing a lot of strong twinges in the arch of my left foot, which spread to the whole foot, but I persevered and the twinges ached less. But both legs felt heavy and the right ached strongly. I ignored this for a bit, reducing my speed, adjusting to an easier pace. But it didn't matter what I did, both legs felt sharp pains and began to go numb, so much so, I worried I'd injure myself because I couldn't feel the ground contact so well. I just made it to the nearest measurable point and was crushed to see my time was 16mins 15secs (1.34mile/2.16km). I half limped back to the car, having to sit and stop on the way to the car, as the legs ached terribly. I am really frustrated I didn't make 20mins, it really was such an achievable target. The only consolation, if any, is that the program advises 15mins, so I did beat that, but it doesn't lessen my disappointment with my body. The junk food from yesterday, coupled with the lack of water, must have made a hugely negative impact. It is so strange that some days, the body can cope with so much, and other days, it refuses to do the minimum. The left leg recovered quickly but as the day wore on, the right leg has been hugely achesome. I have noticed there is some redness and puffiness/swelling around my right knee, and it is slightly tender. I have applied ice to it and to my right calf, which has helped alleviate the aches but only temporarily. With looking after the kids, one of thom is unwell, and household chores to do, it is difficult to rest the right leg as much as I would like. I am wondering whether to run tomorrow or not, as I fear injury, but also, it's harder to make myself rest after a terrible run. What was also disappointing about today was not having the kind of run that helps work things out of the system, I just feel incredibly frustrated right now, and it's hard to think rationally in that state. I will just have to wait and see how the right leg is tomorrow, and if I do go out, I know I should take it very slow, because the last thing I want is an injury, with only a few weeks to go before my first race.

No comments: