Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Slower But Better

Tuesday: After a night of raising the right leg and applying frozen peas to the knee and the calf (to the point I was sneezing), I awoke this morning determined to have another go at running. My knee still appeared a little swollen looking and felt sensitive, but walking on it was okay. I did my usual gentle stretching and walking to warm up. I set myself a target of 20mins again and I set off on an extremely slow pace. This was perhaps where I went wrong yesterday, misjudging the speed my body could take. Today, I was much slower and I found myself able to keep going. The right knee and calf twinged and ached at intervals but it was very manageable and most of the run felt good and relaxed. I was so pleased to see I went past 20mins and was still running, and decided to pretty much run till I dropped, and why not. I covered 5.46km (3.39miles) in 44mins 13secs. That was my limit, I would have been risking injury going on for longer. A good run today, slow but doing over 40mins felt great. I was limping a little afterwards, the right calf ached strongly. The right knee continued to feel delicate all day and in the evening, I finally got round to putting frozen peas on it again. Tomorrow will be a rest day in order to save the right knee from getting worse. I forgot to mention in my last post that I ran alone yesterday, the husband was too lazy to get out of bed for a run, and that was just as well as I performed so badly yesterday! Today was a great deal better, and though my right leg aches and moans at me for running whilst I type, it was so very worth getting out there :o)

No comments: