Thursday, May 29, 2008

Post Race - Rest and Crises

Tuesday: Resting after yesterday's race. A family crisis of sorts has brought me plummeting down to earth from my post-race high. Today was supposed to be a day of personal celebration but crises tend to put a dampener on things. The blisters remain, though less aggressive. I spent most of the day barefoot which I think really helps. I have already posted on the running forum about my socks, advice on how to wash them properly, if I am not already doing so, as that may have contributed to my blisters. Felt quite pleased to be able to text my brothers about my 5mile race, casually texting my time and a brief race report. They still find it hard to believe, I think, that I (of all people) am so into running. I was very anti-cross country at school, and never much for fitness (aside from brief periods of gym membership). On the weekend, my older brother suggested I didn't think about doing a marathon, to keep running but to be more careful race-wise about pushing myself. This was after our run together on Sunday, when I was a red tomato, sweating and panting after a 20min run, and he was fairly relaxed after it (lol). I assured him I was taking things 'logically', a half marathon this year and a full marathon next year, and I think he knows me well enough to know that I know my limits. The concern derives from my mother, mainly, and her concern is very much linked to the passing away of my cousin in December. It was a very sad time for all of us, the only good thing, if any, was my waking up to becoming dangerously obese and deciding to do something about it. Today I was happy not to run, the body was very tired, but it felt so good to have completed that 5 miler, to be getting fitter.

No comments: