Thursday, May 29, 2008

Training Thoughts for Glasgow

Wednesday: Another rest day, and happy to take it. I knew I was exhausted on Sunday but I didn't expect to be happy about resting a second day. Perhaps the 3 races in 3 weeks, or even 4 races in 5 weeks, took a lot more out of me than expected. I received my first copy of Runners World in the post yesterday... yes, it is true, I have subscribed, much as I laughed (possibly guffawed?) that I never would be that ridiculously hooked on running... I am rather hooked indeed, much to the delight of my constantly-saying 'I told you so' runner friend :o) There were some very interesting articles in there, I have left it on my bedside table for bedtime reading. The blisters haven't gone completely yet, I do need compeed patches but dithered over buying them due to their cost. I run tomorrow, the first post-race run, perhaps going to leave things as they are and hope for the best. I looked up a half marathon programme from great trainer, which is 14 weeks long and starts on Monday. I plan to cross check it with the RW programme which is 10weeks long, and see which I prefer. The difference is RW tells me how many miles to do each session whereas great trainer tells me how long to run for. I am used to going by time at the moment, is that better, I don't know. I guess it's all about what I feel more comfortable with, as both lead to being well prepared for doing 13.1 miles. I am keen to finalise my programme soon so that I can start looking up races that match it. It was very interesting what RW say about not making every race about doing a PB (personal best, hark at me using running terms...) and to allow some races to be like training sessions, not going all-out every time. The magazine really is full of helpful advice and tips that made me think about my attitude and approach to running. I appreciate the lovely comment left on this blog by Georgia's Dad some days ago, it is really uplifting to know others read this and get something out of it, in addition to all that I am personally benefiting. I do feel a lot more positive about my running since doing the Sale 5 Mile, and in the face of recent family crises and goings-on, I do appreciate my running more. As tired as I still am, I am looking forward to being back in the park. My birthday nears and though I am not as fit as I would like to be yet, I know I have achieved a lot personally these last few months and I feel fitter than I have done for years. Looking at my fetch profile makes me smile, 4 completed races on my list, it feels rather surreal, but in a rather brilliant way :o)

No comments: