Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Cold and Resting Runner

Sunday: The cold persists, less sneezing and coughing, more general run-down feeling, just extreme fatigue. Hence no running today, getting up has been hard enough. Paracetamol has helped, as has drinking lots of orange juice and resting. I'm sure the sluggishness I feel is cold-related, but it does feel strange to have two days off running. The right calf and knee feel a lot better, I am happy to report, much stronger and less sensitive. I apply the gel only half an hour before a run, not outwith that at all, so it's great that a little thing like that has made a great difference to my body. I am keen to run tomorrow but I have a doctor's appointment mid-morning, which is inconveniently timed with my usual routine. My daughter goes back to school but my son is still home for another week before nursery re-opens, so it will be a case of either getting up very early for a run or putting into practice some military-style plan to make sure a run can be fitted in. And of course, I need to be feeling better for it, but I think two days of rest is plenty for me. I had a good running week this week and I don't want to lose the momentum. There are 4 weeks to go before my first race, which sounds like plenty of time some days, and not enough on others. My runner friend just completed a 4th race in 3 months, a very undulating 5km, which is very inspiring. My race plan will see me do 3 races in a month, completing the last a week before my birthday. I am really looking forward to my birthday this year, the feeling of having achieved something will be great.

No comments: