Monday, March 31, 2008

Post Cold and Running

Monday: I didn't sleep well but the cold has pretty much gone, save residual fatigue and a bunged up nose. It was very sunny today, quite warm, and eerily breeze-less in the park, getting there after the school run. Due to a doctor's appointment mid-morning, I cut down the warm-up time and aimed for a short run. I had been in a rush in the morning and had no time to apply the calf gel, grabbing a banana on the way to make sure I had some fuel. I also had some Lucozade with me, though less than usual. I managed better than I expected today, the right leg was mostly fine - is this a sign that it's getting used to the running, or maybe it made the most of the two day rest? I covered 3.28km in 23mins 43secs, at a pace that I enjoyed, it was a good run. I changed the order of the music on my playlist which made me realise I need to rethink some songs, because some of them are not helping me keep a rhythm going while I run. It makes a great difference to me to have the right beat to run along to. I felt quite dehydrated today, from the cold perhaps, and made sure I drank plenty of fluids throughout the rest of the day. Today's run felt good, not as short as planned, but an enjoyable run. I finally got round to registering for the Salford 5km Run online, which cost £7, as I am not attached to a club and am in the adult group (it's cheaper for club members and kids). I am pleased that's done, plus I finally booked my train tickets for travelling to make the Great Edinburgh Run in May. A constructive day for my running needs, now all I need to do is get to a sports shop to buy lycra bottoms, some loose t shirts, sports socks and some sports bras. Once I have all the right training gear, I'll feel a lot better prepared for the Salford Run. Less than 4 weeks, gosh, I think it's best not to focus on the big day, just concentrate on my running. I already had a good panic release when I discovered how steep the uphill will be for the race (paper bag at the ready...) and I don't want to waste time panicking or stressing now, I have a lot of training to do. I think I'll save any shrieking/anxiety attacks for the few days prior to the big day :o)

No comments: