Monday, March 3, 2008

Reflecting On A Yo-Yo Week

Sunday: An early morning run, I refuse to rest on anything resembling my laurels because I have races to train for :o) I was concentrating on covering at least 4miles per session before but I think it's important I revise my focus on my endurance times. I did 1.34miles in 17mins 22secs. I had set off with the intention of doing at least 20mins, I am no longer going to report on my warming up times or my walking times because it's the time I run for which is of importance. My 20min target was very doable, I was finding it tough but still doable. However, I tripped over old unused tram lines at around 15 mins and I was very lucky not to injure myself. I went flying and jumping at the same time, landing awkwardly, but still moving, though at a reduced rate. After that, I was just ever so paranoid about injuring myself so stopped on reaching the nearest measurable point. The time was in keeping with the program's advice but I was disappointed a little, as I knew I could have done more, but psychologically I knew stopping was best. My online trainer's injury warnings had been playing in my mind and so I guess it is better to have done some running and stayed injury-free, instead of pushing myself to the point of injury.
My runner friend's progress continues to inspire me, achieving the fantastic personal best of 10miles in 90mins in a race today. On hearing that, I was glad I had run today, otherwise the 'cravings' would have been eating away at me :o) Thanks to fetch, I have discovered there are a great many races out there and I have signed up for more, the glutton for punishment I must be. My first race is now to be the Salford 5km Run in April, which I knew I had to do, partly because it is great practice for the Great Runs in May, and partly because the Salford Run is taking place where I train anyway. I am looking forward to having a 5km race as my first ever, though I am perturbed by the undulating nature of the route. It is incomparable to the incredibly hilly 10mile race my runner friend did, but it is worrying enough for a newbie like me, who tries to stick to flat ground for training.
This has been an incredible week for me, going from feeling very anxious about my progress, to feeling on top of the world when I hit 50mins of non stop running. Plus, that euphoria spurred me on to add more races to my race portofolio on fetch's website. My first one is in April now, 40 odd days away; my plan is to focus on endurance timings and less on mileage, hoping to focus on speed nearer to race day. So far, so good :o)

No comments: