Tuesday, April 22, 2008

1st Post Race Training Run

Monday: A very sunny day, I was in a rush this morning and unable to eat breakfast. I did remember to slap on the anti inflammatory gel all over both legs, as the aches were everywhere, from top of the thighs all the way down to the ankles. The gel did the trick, the aches were numbed sufficiently to get back to the park. I had a bottle of Lucozade with me to keep me going, all the more important when I'd not eaten, and I tried keeping a gentle but progressive pace. The drink helped a lot, I was still in a good mood from Saturday's race and enjoyed being back out there. I covered 3.62km in 25mins 04secs, which I was satisfied with as my 1st post-race run. As competitive as I can be, I know I have to be focusing hard primarily on endurance and less on speed. I know I completely gave all I had in doing 5km and I need to work on lasting the full 10km for next Sunday's race in Edinburgh. Also, I want to enjoy it more, as the best thing about my first race was really when it was over. I would like to look back on Edinburgh's race as one I enjoyed doing, not just enjoying the post-run high. To last 10km, and to do it by running alone, I'm going to have to control my speed diligently, which is something to work on over the next training runs. On a lighter note, after much light-hearted though relevant debate on a thread I began on fetch.com's discussion forum, I decided to try running commando (lol) and it was fine, wearing my looser and thicker jogging bottoms. As humorous as the ongoing debate is, I am becoming increasingly interested in the 'little things' that affect comfort and performance. My thoughts have turned to completing a marathon before this year is over, though there are many logistical problems involved with the timing. The only marathon which could fit with my other commitments and allow sufficient training would be the Snowdonia Marathon in October. However, despite being a very scenic race to do, and geographically convenient, it is very hilly indeed and research (including feedback from other fetchies) indicates it would be one of the toughest first marathons one could do. Today ended with much thought about it and feeling a bad cold coming on, which will determine if I run tomorrow.

No comments: