Saturday, April 26, 2008

Post-Cold Running

Thursday: A very rainy day, I felt better, though fatigue still hung over me. Having been on great trainer's website and checked the training programme, I knew I had to get myself into gear. The aim was to run between 20 and 30mins, more hitting the 30mins target. However, I really struggled with it, feeling very tired and heavy. I was ready to stop at 17mins, but somehow managed to keep going to the next measureable point. I covered 3.41km in 22mins 41secs. I felt very disappointed with myself, even though I knew it was the first post-cold run. Knowing I have a 10km race next week is weighing heavily on me, I felt I was far behind in my training. I went back to the car and got out a bottle of Lucozade to drink. It was then I had the idea to do another run, as I had plenty of time before picking up my son from nursery. Also, I hated feeling so disappointed with myself, I had to take more away from this run. So after a short break and the drink, I set off again. I felt a lot better this time, the juice had reinvigorated the body. The 2nd run felt much better in general. However, for most of the run, I felt twinges in my upper left thigh, which varied from slight to stronger. Though I was able to focus and enjoy the run, it was worrying me that I might injure myself, and it was a conscious decision to stop after 20mins. For the 2nd run, I covered 3.32km in 22mins 59 secs, a slightly slower pace than the first. I am glad I did the 2nd run, my body told me it had needed a drink and I was pleased to have got more time training in. At the end of the day, the knees were aching, as well as the calves. Perhaps one long run is better than two short ones but I know that my body wasn't able to do a long one today. I plan to be out running tomorrow, there is little time left till GER and I am not feeling as prepared as I expected to be at this stage.

No comments: