Sunday, April 20, 2008

Post - Race Chill Out

Sunday: Slept very deeply and soundly :o) Today has been a chill out day for me. The aches continued today, mainly in the calves during the day and by evening, the aches were focused completely in the thighs. I plan to be out running tomorrow, I can't afford to take things too easy with two big races coming up in a few weeks. It will be great to get back out again, as I have spent many Sunday mornings out for a run. I will have to do something about the earphone issue pronto, running isn't the same without music. Felt quite pleased today, still in disbelief that my first race is over, and I did it in a time I never expected. Going to be thinking about targets for the next race soon. Also, I'm continuing to feel inspired by my runner friend's progress, who did a big training run of 21miles today in 3 hrs 41mins, which made my jaw drop. A few months ago, it was a big deal for me to be able to run 5mins non-stop, and now I am doing over 20min runs fine as part of my training. To think of running non-stop for over 3 hours is just mind boggling for me, and I think about the fact I am planning to do a half marathon in September, which will probably mean running for at least that amount of time. It's amazing what the human body can build up to, given time, training and the right care. My friend felt awful, really terrible for a couple of hours, after the run, which was quite worrying, but is fine now. I guess we runners are always trying to learn how far we can push ourselves, see how far the body will go with what the brain wants, until one of them begs us to stop (usually the body). Talking about running with others on fetch.com and the running forum gets more interesting and fun as time goes on, I never expected to be so into this running lark. One fetchie made a comment which has stayed with me, that he fell in love with running and he couldn't be without it because it makes his life better and he is a happier, better person for having it in his life. And that is something I feel I identify with more and more :o)

No comments: