Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Alone and Happy

Tuesday: I was able to leave my son at nursery for an hour today. Got to the park, and nearly changed my mind because of the rain. But according to my wise runner mate, 'a little bit of rain never hurt anyone'. Well, I never said it was acid pouring down, but anyway! Actually, I quite enjoyed walking/running in the rain. It wasn't too heavy, and truthfully, the cold splashes of rain felt good as I warmed up. Overall, 25 minutes of walking/running, at approximately 3:1 ratio. It felt really good, and I felt fitter, even at this early stage. The left toe never twinged, and I was huffing and puffing a lot, but that was down to inefficient breathing. My nose is still slightly bunged up and I was fiddling with my earphones, so my breathing wasn't as good as it should have been. I saw another runner - can i call myself a runner, or should that be 'newbie runner'? The male runner was twice my age and twice as fast, and gave me a funny look, maybe because I was wobbling along and not the image of the stereotypical freakily-fit runner folk. But I figure he was maybe just jealous because I looked so damn good in my black-with-a-touch-of-hot-pink training gear ;o) But my first run alone was definitely a happy one :o) I was sweating and red as a tomato by the end, although I did notice that both days, my thighs felt frozen, although the rest of me had warmed up. It's not a big issue right now, though the numbness was distracting when driving later. Still got to buy a hat, would make it easier for me in bad weather conditions, as my glasses don't have wipers for the rain (which would be an interesting invention). I plan to get contacts on for the next run, taking tomorrow off as a rest day. At the end of the day, I can report I had aches and pains, nothing major, but really feeling I did something today. However, I wonder if I should be pushing harder, or maybe in my initial zest for running, I simply can't get enough of running?

No comments: