Sunday, January 6, 2008

Last Minute Thoughts

(Geordie accent) Day Two in the Big Runner Household... :o)
All plans today collapsed - after an unexpectedly late night, I awoke after a short sleep this morning with excruciating stomach pains. Not a good start to the day at all, and was close to going to hospital but thanks to NHS Direct, heavy paracetamol dosages numbed the pain and enabled me to stay home. My other half is sadly very under the weather, so been busy making us both chicken soup, and all shopping plans cancelled. Therefore, the much-desired baseball cap will have to wait for tomorrow but another priority is seeing the doctor, to seek advice about me starting my running, which is common sense for anyone undertaking major changes in their exercise regimes. My old 'exercise regime' being non-existent, but anyway, always good to get a medical opinion.
Already received a lot of much-needed and much-apreciated support and advice from my runner friend and I'll be posting the links he sent me for 'runners world'. The articles there are really useful, well, common sense in many ways, but important for me. However, some of it is quite serious in tone, I never realised how seriously some folk take running, which is a bit daunting, so I won't think about it! I used to hate running, seriously, I would do anything to get out of cross-country running at high school. Any sport, be it hockey, tennis, swimming, I was up for, but I never understood why folk liked to run. I do wonder if I expect too much from it, having read the runners world information for runners. And it's all so serious, my word, so serious about running. Which, I guess, it has to be for the professionals. For me, I just want to get some fresh air, get fit, have fun. I wonder if I'll get all competitive about it, as I don't feel that way right now. Maybe that's a good thing though, I would never have started this if I felt forced into it. I am really looking forward to starting, though am genuinely surprised by how little us newbies are supposed to do in the beginning. Obviously, the runners world people know their stuff, but I am going to be amending their suggestions to my mood on the day. I am not setting out to be Paula Radcliffe (just as well, hehe) but I want to have fun, the injury-free way preferably! Oh yes, and weight loss, can't wait! Which reminds me, got to weigh myself tonight (moan, groan). Got to be done, since one of my aims is to lose weight - glad I posted before I do it, it will definitely depress me for the rest of the evening! But anyway, positive thinking, looking forward to moving forward, and running :o)

No comments: