Monday, January 21, 2008

Big Decisions

Monday: The weather was atrocious today, no other word for it. I started off fine, despite heavy rain, but I found lots of paths were close to flooded, and I ended up walking much more than I wanted. My running kept getting cut short due to the excessive water, and then I ended up doing running bursts uphill, which I wasnt ready for. Not the most successful session to date, but at least by staying on the move, I kept some level of exercise going. By the end of the day, I find my legs weren't as achey as expected, I presume due to insufficient running. Today, I finally stopped dithering, and decided to do the Great Manchester Run in May. It's 10k, yes, the thought still freaks me out, but that never stopped me doing something before :o) In all seriousness, I found the Run's website to be very useful and informative, and actually quite inspiring. I turn 27 in May, no major milestone, but I know that come that day, if I havent done the Run, I will be disappointed with myself. I have thought a lot about this, about how I can do it, and apparently lots of people do it all the time, from a 'newbie' level like mine. I have seen programmes that detail how to train towards to and there is so much advice out there. I was also spurred on to do it for my cousin, Sam, who passed away suddenyl a short while ago. He was 26 like me, the life and soul of the party. I plan to run with a charity linked to him, as I feel on one level, I might never even have started to run if it wasn't for his untimely death. Also, I used to do lots for charity years ago, and I want to go back to giving back. If others can benefit from my running, then it makes it more worthwhile. I realise this means taking running more seriously but after much thought, I feel ready to do that and to have a focus. My initial reaction to the Run had been to pretty much run in the opposite direction, for various reasons. But I am so glad my friend suggested and encouraged me to do this, because I do think I can rise to the challenge once I put my mind to it. Sometimes, it is the strength of others that helps us forward in developing further our own strengths. There is still a tingling fear in the pit of my stomach but that tells me I am alive and I feel ready to take on this challenge :o)

No comments: