Friday, January 25, 2008

Mind and Body

Friday: This was my fourth day running, having taken only Tuesday off, and I think my body was not pleased about it. The weather was great, the sun was out, the wind was moderate and no sign of rain. I had my new trainers on, having first used them yesterday. They do add a bounce to my feet which the cheap ones don't do. I fed the ducks (for luck, perhaps, as well as to see their happy ducky faces) then I warmed up as usual through walking. I then proceeded to stick to 3min runs and 2min walks, which I found that little bit easier than yesterday. However, my right leg, specifically the calf area, seized up and my running speed was greatly reduced to allow me to run through the pain. The walks were more akin to limping breaks, I felt I was dragging the leg, it felt dead and heavy. I carried on as much as I could, but then decided it was best to rest the leg, rather than cause damage that would ruin my training schedule. I did around 40minutes, including a long cooling down session, which was just walking and trying to get the blood flowing in my leg. I was pleased that I found the 3min run, 2min walk plan easier than yesterday. The right leg was obviously annoying for me, but another important lesson, maybe I need to seriously reconsider how much rest my body needs. The problem for me is that the word 'rest' feels like 'laziness' for me right now, I feel I have so much to do. At the end of the day, I can report the right calf still feels tight and stiff, which I am sure runners world would say 'I told you so' over. I have two days off now, the weekend should be plenty of time for my body to recover. It's so strange having my mind be at a different place to my body, and I guess I have to learn to be careful to strike the right balance between the two.

No comments: