Sunday, January 20, 2008

Week Two Reflection

Sunday: The physical report is as follows - annoying blister on right foot is dying away slowly; aches in legs easing; right knee showed huge improvement after massaging. This week had setbacks but I am happy with my determination to overcome them, and this week has been a positive learning experience for me. A part of me looked forward to some rest but having had relatives visit, too much rich food has been consumed which has left me actually craving the lighter and healthier stuff I had been eating for the last couple of months. I will be back to eating better tomorrow, the rich food has made me feel more lethargic and lazy. This weekend was productive in one way, in that I was bought new trainers as a present by my brother. Now, I had been most keen on a 'trendy' pair, like nike or adidas, but in the end, I settled for substance over style (heavy heart feelings aside!). My new trainers are 'new balance' shoes, which apparently are very popular with 'proper runners'. Do I see myself as a 'proper runner', not yet, but I must be planning to be one, having taken the whole shoe issue so seriously, debating the ins and outs of 'arch support' with beleagured JJB Sports staff. They were great, actually, very helpful. I won't wear the trainers just yet, I plan to visit another branch which I hear has a greater variety of women's running shoes, so I may exchange the pair I have. However, I am pleased to have new, 'proper' trainers. My friend has suggested I do the Great Manchester Run (1ok) which initially made me want to run in the opposite direction. But it is something I am thinking about, perhaps I need something to focus me. My main fears are that I won't be ready in time for it, which isnt the best excuse, I do have lots of time to train for it. A bigger fear is doing it on my own, the idea of participating in the Run with hundreds of people, and having no-one to run along with me, or even have someone to come along for moral support, I admit I find that quite scary. Do I want to take my running to the 'next level', or should I keep it light-hearted for now? Participating in the Run is something I will be thinking about a lot over the coming days. I am too under confident to register online right now, but ambitious enough too, to not dismiss the idea right now. Two weeks on, I surprise myself with my interest in the more serious side of running. I am even attaching a pedometer to myself tomorrow to figure out the distance I do. I am definitely being brainwashed, slowly but surely, into the world of running :o)

No comments: