Thursday, January 24, 2008

Perseverance in the Face of Adversity

Thursday: And it started so well, the rain had stopped by the time I started my warm up and though a very cold air blew, the sun was shining. I was pleased to have remembered some bread for the ducks in the lake. I decided to pace myself, focus on being realistic, and I managed to do four 3min runs with 2min walks between them. I was really gasping for air and the calves ached tremendously, but I persevered. However, I got a phonecall and was called away to family commitments, cutting the run short. I did manage around 30 minutes but I was extremely disappointed with not having longer to run. I found it hard today, though I kept trying to relax about my level of fitness, it frustrated me hugely yesterday. I am pleased with what I managed and I just hope I can build on it tomorrow. The runners world site would suggest I take days off between running, but knowing I have two whole days of no running every weekend, I feel it would be lazy of me not to run. I finally told my other half about the Run last night, which was greeted with a mixture of surprise, silence and laughs, and a thought to do it with me, which won't happen due to study commitments. But now my running makes more sense to him, and compromise is a two-way street, so I hope to be able to give my running the priority it needs, in negotiation with other commitments. I feel more serious about my running now, due to the Run, I just hope I can keep the momentum going and make real progress.

No comments: