Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hard Lesson, Good Lesson

Wednesday: The weather was kind - no rain and a medium to brisk wind. I did a 45 minute session, including the warm up and cool down, which is just walking for me. I started off with a 5min run, taking a 2min break, then another run. But I was disappointed to find myself struggling to do lots of 5min runs, having to settle for 3 or 4min runs, and taking 2 or 3min walks in between. Am I expecting too much from myself, I am not sure. I was a little tense as the run went on, partly due to feeling disappointed with myself, and partly due to concentrating hard. Feeling tense added to the aches and pains. However, as I continued, I persevered, running despite the aches and pains in the calves, trying to make it the nearest minute and not give up mid-minute. I was sweating more than I have ever done, and that was a good feeling, reassuring me I was pushing myelf and not taking it easy. Today's session was not as much fun as others, perhaps I expected too much, perhaps I need to be more realistic. Knowing I have the Run to train for, I feel I must be strict with myself and make real progress. I was getting upset during the run over my low fitness levels and started to worry about how I'd ever manage a 10k run. But somehow, I just kept running, I want to do it, for me, as well as for Sam. The thought of doing it for Sam and for charity, they were the things that really kept me going. And I learned an important lesson, early on in my training. Not every session will leave me feeling euphoric, there will be good days but also bad days. I need to keep it in perspective and just keep going, never give up. I finally finished the registration process today, I am now officially doing the Great Manchester Run! I finally told another person about it and her reaction was really uplifting for me. I'm doing something that's going to actually make a difference to others, which feels good. Got to keep motivating myself, apparently it is supposed to snow tomorrow - gritted teeth but still smiling, eye of the tiger, that's me :o)

No comments: