Thursday, February 21, 2008

Going the Extra Mile

Thursday: Today was a rain-filled run and I actually enjoyed it more for the weather. It felt great to have cool rain hitting my hot face as I ran, much more fun than feeling my jaw seize up from freezing temperatures. Despite planning my route the night before, I didn't have time to check it before I left the house, and forgot it when I got to the park, so I just made it up as I went along. For the first time, I carried a bottle of Lucozade with me, hoping it would help give me the energy I felt my last few runs were lacking. It proved to be very useful since my unplanned route led me to do a lot of uphill running, which pushed my breathing to its limits. Though, it was a bit comical at first, I forgot that lots of running meant the bottle had been vigorously shaken, and when I opened the bottle the first time, the juice exploded on my face and clothes... and actually it happened a second time too :o) Next time, I may just take a bottle of water with me to avoid all that! The Lucozade tasted really good and gave me the energy bursts I needed. It will take some getting used to, carrying a drink, but I think it will really benefit me, and it definitely spurred me on to run more today. I did a 5min warm-up, 15min run, 5min walk, 15min run, 5min walk, 15min run, then walked to cool down. In total, I covered 5.29 miles in 71.5mins, which really pleased me, since the aim had been to get 4miles covered. After the 2nd 15min run, I spent a few minutes wondering whether to go for another burst of running, and planned on 10mins, but half way into the 3rd 15min run, I thought I could push myself to do the whole 15mins. It feels really good to have done it and I felt running in the rain helped me, it felt better than good. After the run, as I walked to cool down, I felt my sides ache and my calves too. At the end of the day, I can report no aches whatsoever, a hot shower sorted me out well, I believe. I do feel tired but pleased with having completed the 3rd 15min run. No running tomorrow, I am busy and also I accept I need to rest my body after two consecutive days of running. I am considering a dawn run on the weekend though, but that might just be the euphoria of a great run speaking :o)

No comments: