Monday, April 14, 2008

5 Days To Go

Monday: I have never less wanted to be in the park as I did today; I had plans which fell through at the last minute, and so I reluctantly got a run in today. It was very sunny, much to my dislike, though at least the temperature was cold. I found my Rugby Six Nations hat, thankfully in time before the run. I downloaded an entirely new playlist of music before the school run, mostly slower and more melancholic music, with a few faster beats, which I found to be very good to run along to today. Today's run started really well, I found a good rhythm quickly and consciously kept slowing down. The intention was to run for at least 30mins, and I have to mentally slap myself for constantly putting speed before endurance. The bigger picture requires I focus on endurance, because after all, I am supposed to be doing two 10km races in May. Drinking Lucozade helped re-energise me during a deliberately undulating course. Running downhill, I find, is the most enjoyable form of running, or is that the lazy newbie in me... I covered 5.14km in 35mins 21secs, with the last 2mins being particularly torturous as I had a stich all around my right side. I seem to be getting more of them lately, which is a slight worry, particularly when I feel like I was slowing my pace to increase my endurance. Nevertheless, a good session today, I stayed focused despite a lot on my mind and the body did mostly as the brain asked of it. The cool down walk followed a sit-down which made my knees ache a little, as I sat with folded legs. No other aches or pains to report, just some tiredness. 5 days to go to the first race and a little panic is setting in, about the usual things, e.g. not wanting to be last, not wanting to finish in a ridiculously slow time, somehow walking half the route due to excessive fatigue, going the wrong way etc. A lot of it is silly really, but I can't help but feel incredibly nervous as the big day nears. Am wondering if I should have just stuck to non-competitive running, worried about making a fool of myself on the day and so on. But I've registered, paid and all that, put so many hours into this, and I know I need this race badly as practice for the Great Runs in May. Best perhaps not to think too much about the day until it gets here and just focus on the training in the meantime. Only 5 days left though and the stomach is beginning to churn...

No comments: