Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lycra and Logistics

Wednesday: Despite online trainer advice saying I ought to rest today and tomorrow, I was eager to try out my lycra pants and truthfully still feeling a little underprepared. It was very sunny today and I felt the cold keenly, perhaps since I didn't have my warm tracksuit bottoms on. I had Lucozade Isotonic with me and considering the advice carefully, I decided to run for 20mins and not 30mins, as originally planned. This is supposed to be a tapering off period, before the race. Today's run was fine, some hard bits, some good bits. I stuck to a flat route, thinking it wise to avoid uphill so close to the race, and covered 3.57km in 24mins 11secs. Wearing lycra pants took getting used to: once I got over the initial feeling that I was naked from waist down (worrying feeling, very worrying), I was fine once I got into the run. I felt lighter, albeit colder, but it was definitely better. Later in the day, I managed to purchase a top for the race, but I am considering exchanging it for a bigger size, it wasn't as loose fitting as I expected. My heart is actually set on getting a fetch.com top, in time for the Great Edinburgh Run in May, but it is £26, not quite in my budget, plus I am waiting on finding out if my size is available. I didn't have time to get general running socks or safety pins (the latter necessary for pinning my race number on me, the things you don't think about). I managed to get through to the race organisers about not getting my race number in the post and was told I would get it on the day, which is strange as I was under the impression early registration meant it came in the post. As advised, I am trying to stay on top of the logistics pre-race, it's more stressful than I expected. The studies are also weighing on my mind, though a good distraction from race anxieties, one would think. Tomorrow is a running day, a 10min easy run, with lots of walking, to keep the legs going. I think it's best to use Friday as a full rest day before the race, am I doing the right thing, well, only time will tell. Runners on fetch.com and my runner friend have all been terribly supportive and full of helpful advice, which is greatly appreciated and lessens the race anxiety somewhat. But one cannot help but fear over all the things that could possibly go wrong, I think I can't wait for the first race to be over, just to not have this heavy feeling in my heart, convinced it's not going to go well :o(

No comments: