Monday, April 14, 2008

Rest and The Bigger Picture

Sunday: Woke up in a foul mood today, as sleep deprivation caused by the kids is getting a bit much. I was too late to go for a run, which worsened my mood somewhat. I am keen to be fully prepared for the forthcoming race though one can only hope that the rest days are going to help big time. My mood improved on hearing about a runner friend completing a 10mile race in 1hr 18mins, a massive and inspirational achievement. The nerves are creeping in but I have my studies and the housework to distract me from the race and that is definitely a good thing. The body feels fine today, no major aches or pains to report. I did some leg stretching exercises to test my right calf and it was a lot better than in previous weeks. Hopefully, as long as I rest sensibly and continue to apply the calf gel, it should behave for Saturday. A little bit of disappointing news, I hadn't checked the 10km training programme I was following, for a while, and whilst I had been doing a lot more than it said for a while, I am technically behind the programme now. I am supposed to have been increasing my time the last couple of weeks and next week, I am supposed to be doing 3 runs - 2 x 20mins and a 50min at the end of the week. This news is verging on depressing but I think I can work it out. My mind has been so focused on the 5km race plus other things in my life, I lost track of the 10km races in May, the bigger picture. But self-chastisement has limited constructive effect and I now need to get myself into gear, at least I know what to do and I have time to rectify my progress accordingly.

No comments: