Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Back In The Park

Wednesday: Glad to be back in the park after a two day rest. It was cold and cloudy, running conditions that suit me. I enjoyed today's run, I felt I got into a good rhythm for a lot of it. However, I again felt dehydrated quickly; I am sure I could have run more if I had had a drink with me. I did 2.83km in 20mins 31secs, a lot slower than I thought I was, but I did include some uphill work. Towards the end, my right calf was beginning to stiffen, and I began to curse not applying any calf gel, but the run came to an end without it developing into a bigger pain. The right calf has been pretty problem-free lately, despite not applying the calf gel. As today was my daughter's birthday, healthy eating went by the side as we celebrated with junk food and chocolate birthday cake, much to the kids' pleasure. With 10 days to go, I won't be indulging myself like this again, if I want to do well in the Salford 5km. I've had an upset stomach and pains for the last couple of days despite lots of paracetamol, hopefully these running niggles will go away of their own accord. I need to focus on drinking more water and keeping my initial pace slow, reserving my energy to last the race. The plan for tomorrow is to be out running and I will see how the mood takes me, as I am keen to get a practice run of the route this week. I will be needing a drink with me though, my body seems to be keen on it right now. I guess if it helps my performance, that's the main thing, I am sure I can cope with holding a bottle if it makes an essential difference to my times and enjoyment.

No comments: