Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Resting Body Thinks Ahead

Tuesday: Second rest day, and the feet itch (figuratively speaking). The cold has pretty much gone, leaving the usual fatigue and sensitive nose, so I hope to be back out there tomorrow. My son is back at nursery now which allows me the time to run without worrying about the kids. Today has been a slow day, I was up all night due to stomach cramps and a generally upset stomach, and so the lack of sleep added to the tired state I was in. As the guest has gone, I was able to rest more than I was able to yesterday, and I hope this is helping my body. Resting sometimes feels like laziness and whilst sitting with legs raised, one wonders if it will have any positive effects on performance. But in practice, I am getting used to accepting resting is part of training. Tomorrow is a busy day for me: after the school run, I will be running in the park; I then have a parents' forum meeting to attend; later in the evening, we are going out for dinner to celebrate my daughter's 6th birthday :o) My daughter recently said to me she wished she could run with me, aww! The kids are used to seeing me in my training gear every other day and are especially pleased that mum's running means they get to visit the grandparents and uncles in Edinburgh (for the Great Edinburgh Run in May). I have yet to sign up for the Glasgow Half in September, the mention of which received hostility last week, but as the cut-off is a while away, I am not too worried. I am determined to do it, how fantastic if I could do a Half Marathon before the end of the year... actually, my mind wanders and ponders over the idea of doing a full marathon before the end of the year... but I am trying to stay focused on the first race! Thinking ahead is quite exciting! But first things first, 11 days to go till the Salford 5kn Run ... deep breaths... cue Rocky music... :o)

No comments: