Saturday, April 12, 2008

Practice Run

Friday: A bad night, slept very little due to painful stomach cramps and woke up feeling physically very under par. You know you're addicted to running when you don't let pain like that stop you getting out for a run... Lots of paracetamol and a self-pep talk or two, I was in the park, doing a longer than usual warm-up. I intended to do a practice run of next Saturday's race route, hence a long pre-run walk to stretch and prepare the legs. Having lost both of my hats now (the finger of suspicion points towards one of the kids), I reluctantly wore the other half's hat, because the sun was out. I say 'reluctant', as it has Manchester United FC on it, and as a Liverpool FC supporter, it sat uncomfortably on my head. But it began to rain heavily, much to my delight, and I left the hat in a sheltered bit where I would end my run. The rain lightened as I began my run. I was glad I had a drink with me (original Ribena today), I was gulping it at regular intervals. The run began well and the uphill was tough but the drink helped. I felt fine quite quickly after the uphill and I had to restrain myself from speeding up on the flat ground, as I was barely halfway through and needed to pace myself. The downhill was quite difficult, I didn't expect that. Towards the end, I was really struggling for breath and had to slow down, but with an eye on the time, I tried desperately to sprint the last bit, to make it under 30mins. So close - I did 4.48km in 30mins 01secs (the best guess I can do for the 5km route). I was pleased with my performance, or rather the result. Despite applying calf gel, the calf had been twinging strongly, and my right foot also ached, around the ankle and base of the leg. Later in the evening, both knees felt rather achey, due to excess weight obviously. After the run, I went to pick up my hat but it was gone, oh dear, just as well the other half didn't know I borrowed it... My breathing was very asthmatic-like after the run, very noisy and wheezy, and took a while to get back to normal. Apart from that, I felt very good later in the day, the endorphins really lifted me. Today was a great run, it really boosted my confidence, but realistically. Only a week to go now and I am confident that I will be able to run the whole route without needing to stop (touch wood). I do think I will need a drink and am wondering if I should stock up on Lucozade, or maybe I should try depending on me for my first race. Feeling focused about the race, focused and serious.

No comments: