Sunday, May 11, 2008

Better, Stronger, Anxious

Sunday: It was a late night and a difficult one, unable to sleep due to it being so warm and also just rather stressed with running. Eventually got some sleep, and awoke early, determined to get running. Big bowl of cereal and some water for breakfast, gel applied, I set off. It was another rather warm day, which makes my heart sink a little. I miss the cold winter mornings for running. Today, I warmed up with a longer walk, having more time on my hands, and began my run concentrating rather hard on maintaining a slow pace. This worked for a while, later I was unable to resist speeding up, but I am pleased I began rather slowly. I had quarter of a bottle of Lucozade isotonic with me which was sipped at regular intervals. Today's run felt better, owing to many factors, probably: drinking lots of water, increasing my salt intake, keeping a controlled and slow pace as I started running. I didn't set a target time or distance, though I of course hoped to beat yesterday. I managed 31mins 09secs, covering 4.99km; I run faster than I realise, but I would happily substitute some speed for real endurance. It was my limit to do that much time, which is worrying when I have a 10km race to do a week today. Mixed feelings about the run at the end of the day. I felt a lot better today, sweating like the proverbial animal still and some weakness but a great deal more like 'normal' than I have been in recent training. It was a lot better in general, I guess I need to focus on that positive for GMR. My friend has recommended trying SIS go energy drink to help with the low blood pressure and general dip in energy levels. I plan to go to Asda tomorrow to try some before my next training sessions. I am supposed to be tapering off this week but I need to try and find a balance between light and heavy running, considering my underprepared situation. It's very unwise to try something new on race day so I will see if SIS go suits me during the sessions I have left. Also, I've been reminded to focus on eating sensibly for running, putting aside weight issues (pics of me from GER were far from flattering and perhaps contributed to some unwise decisions about my diet at present). Just a week to go and the targets are set as follows: a) 60mins b) 65mins c) 70mins. My GER time was just over 71mins, so these targets are based on that, recent training and dare I say, blind optimism. I have been assured this is a flatter race course, which is uplifting, now all I need, apart from a miracle, is cold weather and GMR should go smoothly for me... One can wish...

No comments: