Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mind vs Body: Hitting 60

Wednesday: The personal trainer set a target of 60mins for today's run, though I went to bed last night in two minds as to whether today would be a rest or not. Despite a good sleep, I awoke feeling tired, but keen to run. Breakfast was difficult, since the newly opened milk bottle smelt off, for some reason, and there was very little cereal left. I made toast and ate a couple of dates, as well as drinking some Lucozade original. I saved the remaining SiS for the run. Today was another rather hot day, with a cool breeze. I set off at a controlled pace which I managed to hang onto for a while. The body seemed reluctant to go fast, acting as if rather annoyed with my mind who ordered it to move. Very much a battle between the two and it worked well; the body stayed so slow, thus I ran for longer and felt better, to the joy of the mind. My right calf ached again and my left thight felt twinges, initially strong but later barely noticeable. Initially, I thought 30mins was a realistic target, and once I got there (more ups than downs getting there), I thought 'halfway there', thinking of the 60min target. The body wanted to shut down at that thought, crying out that it couldn't do another 30mins. I told myself to try to make it to 40mins, just a bit more, and again, to 50 mins, then going for the magic 60min target. Thinking like this made a huge difference to me, I felt less pressured and more relaxed. I covered 8.81km in 60mins 55secs, which really pleased me. I was really happy to have run for so long non stop, which I could not manage at GER. The SiS and Lucozade in combination worked well, I am sure, and I plan to take SiS with me for race day. After the run, I felt a little dizzy, but my run stopped very close to home so I wasn't too worried about the dizziness. I felt a lot better today, it went much better than some recent runs. I found any signs of faintness were quickly combatted by drinking, slowning down and deeo breaths. At home, I found my right heel was aching again, I was nearly limping when bare-footed but this pain eased off throughout the day. I am now supposed to be tapering, 2 rest days then a short easy run on wednesday. Today's run felt great, running was generally more like fun, much easier to do. I am hoping this wil translate into good results on Sunday.

No comments: