Wednesday, May 7, 2008

First Post Race Run

Tuesday: Back in the park, back to training. It was a very warm day, very sunny, we seem to be experiencing summer come early at the moment. Today's run wasn't very good at all, I was in a rush this morning and left the house to run on an empty stomach and quite thirsty. This kind of mistake was okay when I first started running but not anymore. It was a struggle to run today, possibly still tired from the race and yesterday's train journey. I did 2.29km in 15minutes, perhaps too fast as usual, though I was conscious of keeping it slow. Running today brought back memories of the race, mostly the worst part when I had to walk, and that was most unhelpful. Lessened my enjoyment of being back in the park. After my run, my right calf ached strongly, which wore off as I cooled down. When I got home, the post arrived and with it came my race number and pack for the Great Manchester Run. It felt a little exciting to be preparing for another race again, but there is a great deal of dread in my heart, due to feeling so disappointed with myself last time. I was definitely underprepared, the more I think about it, I know I didn't do enough long runs for training, due to my focus shifting onto the Salford 5km Run for so long. I didn't follow the programme properly closer to the race, I got used to setting my own targets after getting ahead initially. Stupid mistakes, one might say 'schoolboy errors' but cursing myself repeatedly is definitely not getting me anywhere, much as I have tested it out. I guess this learning curve can be steep as well as gentle; the mistakes I have made seem so glaringly obvious sometimes but I suppose many runners must also go through what I do, the trials and the joys must be common. There is less than 2 weeks to the next race and I am determined to fit in long runs despite approaching the technically 'taper off period'. Once GMR is over, I intend to plan my series of races better, in proper accordance with a programme and not just sign up left, right and centre, as I am sure my excessive spontaneity is aggravating my loss of enjoyment right now. Trying to keep a sense of perspective though, at least I am injury free (touch wood) and each of my races has me taught me a great deal. Looking forward, I am making plans to do the Glasgow Half Marathon in September with my currently injured friend, who will hopefully be back in the saddle, as it were, and training for this begins in June. Also, I have been dared (yes, reaching new heights of maturity with dares...) to do the Edinburgh Marathon (yes, Full Marathon) in May next year, by said friend. I had been thinking about that anyway as a long-term aim, well, it is now pretty much set in concrete (I won't hear the end of it) and I am on course to go back to the 'home ground' to do a marathon in 2009 :o) This was an idea I mentioned in passing to family when I was in Edinburgh and they all back my new-found enthusiasm for running; the weight loss had been noticed and gently praised, much to my (rather selfish) delight. But back to the here and now, time is ticking and much to do for GMR.

No comments: