Friday, May 9, 2008

Rest and Relaxation

Wednesday: A planned rest day and it was rest I needed after a near all-nighter. Felt a little off-colour today, very fatigued, perhaps it would have been wise to have had 2 rest days before going back to training. Still feeling very faint by late afternoon, I set about upping my salt intake, boiling an egg and making chicken soup to re energise. After this, I felt a lot better. The problem, or not, is that I can often eat a meal and not be too bothered about having little salt in it, as long as there is enough spice and other flavours. The other half tends to add salt to meals, as I have been reducing the amount of salt in my cooking for the sake of the kids, and most of our meals are homemade. I wonder if this has had an impact on me lately, that I don't always add more salt to my plate, so my salt intake has been decreasing. It is possible that my blood pressure was extremely low after 6km on race day, which made me feel so dizzy and faint. The more I think about it, the more it seems that is a possible factor. I had breakfast as normal that day, a bowl of cereal, and I was careful not to drink too much before the race, but then, I could speculate maybe I didn't drink enough and dehydration was a factor in me feeling unwell. During my stay in Edinburgh, my mother cooked all the meals and she keeps salt levels low due to her and my father both having high blood pressure (age and weight related). I think I ought to see a doctor about this, my low energy levels and this blood pressure business. On the running forum, someone mentioned they took magnesium supplements to help with energy. I currently take a multi vitamin every day and will be seeking advice from the doctor as to what supplements, if any, I should take, and which foods are best to help me, the natural way as it were. Today was a very sluggish day, early night tonight, as a good night's sleep must precede a training run.

No comments: