Friday, May 9, 2008

Unexpected Rest Day, Looking Ahead

Thursday: Personal commitments took priority over a training run, and I wasn't too concerned as I know I am able to negotiate running time on weekends, which previously seemed impossible. I felt a lot better today, after a decent amount of sleep and sipping water throughout the day to keep hydrated. I was craving crisps, which is rare for me, and I bought a packet, though it left me quite thirsty. Lots of water followed, it was another hot day in Manchester. I stayed in my training gear all day as I went about getting things done, wearing my GER t shirt with some pride. Feeling a little better, slowly, about the race, I know I did my best, though the walking still gnaws away inside. Wearing the t shirt made me realise I did a 10km and I ought to be proud for getting through it. A few months ago, running for 3 consecutive minutes was a huge achievement for me, and I now have 2 races under my belt, the third in over a week's time. I plan to hang up my medals in my bedroom in plain view, I need them to motivate me, and remind me I am doing well, even when it doesn't feel like it. I was very much in the mood for a run late afternoon, the legs were aching to move faster, though the brain was saying 'thank goodness we won'r be running in the scorching sun' :o) I saw many runners on the streets today, sweating and red-faced, nice to know I am not the only one, hehe. I registered with the Edinburgh Marathon organisers today, to do the marathon next year. They will send me an email when entries open and my friend says the first 500 are guaranteed a place. Right now, the idea of me doing a marathon is laugh out loud-able, but it is quite an exciting thought nonetheless. When I turned 26, I was very overweight and gaining weight, doing little or no exercise; by the time I turn 27, I hope to have done a hat-trick of races, a 5km and two 10km races; the thought that I will have completed more races, but most importantly a half marathon and a full marathon by the time I turn 28, that is hard for me to believe but it's also hugely exciting. Tomorrow is a definite running day, there is little time left till GMR and I need the training. Feeling optimistic right now and looking forward to my future running.

No comments: