Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Post GMR Rest Day

Monday: Still on a high after yesterday's race :o) No running today, resting and a pretty lazy day, wary of overdoing things, or rather an excuse to be lazy. The legs felt quite tired at the end of the day but generally the aches and pains were fine, not too much. The legs felt worse after GER but then, I was stuck in a car for a while, which worsened the legs at the time. I spent some time researching my next race; it feels strange not to have a race to aim towards after months of build-up to GMR. I am not too down though, I have my 2008 target of doing a half marathon (Glasgow, September) so that keeps me quite cheerful. The fetchie-recommended Sale 5Mile (taking place in Wythenshawe park) is growing on me and it seems I may be able to fix family commitments around it, for Bank Holiday Monday. Unfortunately, family opposition to my running is increasing; I hope to do the race in my mother's presence to reassure her I am not killing myself (lol). The mother-in-law has also been on the phone, genuinely concerned. The other half has also expressed concern over my running another race 'so soon'. I received my blood tests back and announced to all that they were fine, nothing bad to report, so hopefully that ought to reassure them. The doctor wants me to continue increasing my salt intake (to address the low blood pressure) and I am taking a multi-vitamin with iron as recommended. I guess it's all about learning to deal with running in hot weather and listening carefully to what the body needs, which is usually a lot more water than I am currently drinking. The plan is to go back to the park tomorrow, a gentle run to get back into it, hopefully gearing towards the Sale 5mile in 7 days. This will be the last race of 'choice' for me, as I intend to have chosen and started a training programme in June for the half marathon, and all subsequent races will be carefully chosen accordingly. I was pleased to discover that the local paper had listed all GMR entrants from the area, as informed by a lovely person working at the children's centre my son goes to for nursery sessions. She saved a copy for me which she will bring into work tomorrow, which is very kind and thoughtful of her, and I am rather excited by the thought of my name in print (lol). In bouyant mood, still feeling glorious and proud of myself over yesterday's race :o)

No comments: