Sunday, May 18, 2008

Great Manchester Run: Race Day

Sunday: Last night, before bed, I applied henna on my hands, and I awoke this morning, quite pleased with the result. Sleep was a little short and restless but to be expected, before a big race. I had my usual breakfast of Crunchy Nut cereal and was careful to drink some water. My other half suddenly announced he'd give me a lift but I refused, insisting I would go by bus as planned. I was in a funny mood, very nervous but focusing on my routine, it felt as if straying from my pre-planned routine would be nerve-wracking. It sounds silly to think about now, but I recall my mornings before my races and I see a pattern emerging, part of that is my needing to do what I planned or decide myself or it unnerves me. So I set off, as planned, by bus. It was a 20min bus ride and I was at the race in plenty of time. I had difficulty finding the stalls area, having grabbed some decent freebies at GER, despite asking folk for directions and having a map (terrible, I know). Perhaps it was nerves over this being such a huge event and the fact I was on my own, I needed to make sure I was sticking to the timetable. It was a great sight, seeing the balloons, the banners, the runners; I walked around with a big smile on my face well before the race started. Unable to find the stalls area, I headed towards the baggage area to leave my bag. It was very sunny, despite cool winds, and I decided to keep my shades on but leave my hat in my bag. I changed out of my running bottoms and zipper, and carried a bottle of Lucozade original (pre race drink) and a bottle of SiS GO (race drink). I didn't finish the Lucozade, I had enough close to the warm-up to give me a boost, as well as a cereal bar to stave off hunger pangs. The warm-up was fun, the same trainer doing it as from GER , but I quickly realised I needed to use the bathroom. With half an hour to go till 'kick-off', I ended up queuing for 20mins to use the one of the portaloos. I was ready in time though and was in a good mood, the cheering crowds were great and I had chatted to some runners, all very friendly and enthusiastic. I didn't start off as well as hoped, grappling with my mobile to play some music, then realising I hadn't started to time myself. But race experience kicked in, I fixed both problems quickly and ignored how I had started, just focusing on the race. It was very congested in many parts, not surprising considering there were around 31,000 entries in the country's premier Great Run. I found the congestion to be a good thing for me, it stopped me going too fast too soon. But there were many times there was plenty of space, it simply took a lot of concentration and nifty side-stepping/overtaking to make sure I ran my own race. The race route was mostly flat; I hadn't gone round the route the day before so wasn't sure what to expect, but apart from one very short up slope, it was beautifully flat :o) It was great to see cheering crowds and bands playing, I waved at complete strangers for the hell of it! I found the 2km-3km very easygoing in particular. We went round the Old Trafford stadium; as we went through the Munich Tunnel, a couple of male runners started chanting 'United! (clap clap clap) United!' and many others cheered in agreement. A little adrenaline-rushed by it all, I yelled 'Any Liverpool fans, woohoo!' There was no reply and I shut up accordingly, hehe. At that point, my mother rang me, of all times, disrupting the music I was listening to. To add to my family's level of incompetence, my younger brother texted 'good luck' when I was nearing the 8km mark... families, indeed! I struggled after the 5km mark, was it psychological, I am not sure, as that was when I was in trouble at GER and sometimes during my training. The 6-7km felt rather arduous, I could feel my body trying to shut down. I kept sipping my GO drink, which didn't taste so bad when I genuinely needed it, and it made the essential difference. At 6.5km, I ran through the shower provided. It was a great relief, as I was hot and dripping with sweat, though I was a bit disappointed, and would have preferred a stronger shower. Nonetheless, it felt good and it helped. After the 7km mark, my body was keen to sprint faster and I tried to keep some control on it, having seen people drop around me since the 2km mark. After the 8km mark, I knew I was sprinting too fast, and slowed a little, doing high fives with the crowd :o) Then the 9km mark came and I was keen to sprint hard for the last 1km. It was a very tough and long last km, the body was trying desperately to keep up with what the brain wanted. I had kept an eye on my km times throughout and I knew I was managing to keep to under 70mins, though I kept pushing hard for between 60 and 65mins. As I saw the finish line in the distance, I just kept going as hard as I could; seconds before the finish line, I thought I heard someone shout my name and looked to the side and saw my other half and my kids waving. That was great to see :o) The kids had been desperate to see me race and I was so pleased they got their wish. After the race, I headed off to the baggage area to collect my bag and then met up with my family, wearing my medal proudly. I persuaded them to go and find the stalls area with me which was a great idea, partly for me as I got free drinks and snacks and partly for the kids as they got free sweets and balloons. It was a great atmosphere, laughing and smiling people everywhere, sun shining, live music playing. I would love to have stayed longer to soak it up but had to get home as the kids grew impatient and my other half had to study. I was amazed the official results were out within a few hours, my friend texting me to inform me of how I did - 66mins 48secs :o) This was nearly my (b) target of 65mins, and I beat my GER time by around 4.5mins, so I am extremely pleased. The biggest source of satisfaction is having run non-stop, that, for me, is just an amazing feeling. I was so incredibly disappointed with not running non stop at GER, despite a decent time. I would have loved to have hit 65mins this time but the time really doesn't matter right now to me - I ran a 10km today, without stopping, and it feels bloody great :o) I had a strong headache later on and felt a little queasy but apart from that, I am fine, well, aches and pains aside. Later in the day, I felt rather emotional, thinking about my late cousin, knowing that all the running in the world couldn't bring him back. But he will always be a part of my running, I will never forget he was part of the reason I started. I like to think that he is looking down on me and pleased for me, laughing definitely at me, but pleased nonetheless :o) My big day will end, as usual, downing Irn Bru, wearing my medal. Today was great, really brilliant, and this is not the end. I received an fmail from a kind and motherly fetchie (who has helped calm my nerves in the past) asking if I would be doing the Wythenshawe 5mile Run a week tomorrow... I am already trying to figure out how to fit personal commitments around it! I must be mad, truly, but gosh I love this running lark. I really enjoyed today's race, the most out of my 3 races. Edinburgh was so beautiful and fun, but achieving the 'non-stop' goal today, as well as actually feeling good doing the race and keeping the kind of pace that was pushing me but still letting me endure the whole 10km - GMR was fantastic and my favourite to date :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your achievement and dipping below 67 minutes.

Your blog is inspiring and resuming running after an extended break I'm gonna draw from that. The uplifing positivity just shines through!

Loving the way that you can just wave at random people aswell, I think I'm gonna exploit that.

Keep the motivation and keep up the great work.