Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Post GMR Run

Tuesday: Awoke this morning rather 'below par' and with incredibly stiff legs. Still up for running though. A sunny day though not too hot, I planned a short run to get back into the routine of it. It started off fine, I kept it slow and easy, and enjoyed having a digital watch, not worrying about pressing buttons on the mobile. As it went on, I ran harder and faster, just one of those moods really, ignoring the recommended advice of taking it easy. I covered 3.62km in 22mins 58secs. The calves and feet ached later, and I noticed some discomfort and rubbing in the left foot, but ignored it. Later, I discovered a rather large blister up from the arch, in an awkward place that meant walking aggravates it. I tried wearing flip flops for the rest of the day, as I was driving and walking about, though there was still rubbing. I discovered special plasters are available for blisters, as menioned on the runners forum, and may purchase some, despite being grossly overpriced. I expected more from my expensive socks, to be honest, though they are not technically anti-blister socks. Running had felt fine, it was when I ended the run and walked, when I felt there was something wrong with the left foot. I sipped some wild berry flavoured Lucozade (not a taste I recommend) after the run. I pushed myself harder than maybe I should have for the first run after my race, a lot on my mind perhaps. End of the day, feeling very tired and emotional, just one of those days. The right heel aches as it does from time to time when I am barefoot, and I am limping slightly to avoid putting pressure on the blister. Maybe a 2 day rest would have been a better idea after the race, though I really wanted to run today, but it wasn't so much focused as it was emotional, far too many things on the mind. Family are visiting and staying over the weekend and it looks likely, though not guaranteed, that I will be able to do the Sale 5Mile. Hence, got to be prepared and train accordingly.

No comments: