Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Dip In A Dip

Friday: Woke up feeling very low (deja vous, these days). I forced myself to get into my training gear, though felt very sluggish and tired. I usually run after the morning school run, but when I got home, I collapsed onto the sofa and fell asleep, utterly exhausted. I awoke, running late to pick up my son from nursery. Not sure why I feel so tired, but it's getting to me, feeling run-down. I didn't even feel that refreshed from my morning nap, still tired, even though I sleep a lot more than I did before I started running. I really don't think lack of sleep is the problem, perhaps as was suggested, the body is still recovering from that tonsil infection I had. It was weighing heavy on my mind, not having run in the morning, and I was determined to get some running in. I managed to get out in the afternoon, though time constraints meant it couldn't be a long run. Then again, my body feels like one big obstacle itself at the moment. I ran 1.34miles in 13mins 59secs; it felt hard but better than the previous run. It was cool and cloudy, so the weather wasn't a problem. My post-run state wasn't too good, though, I was sweating excessively, breathing erratically and felt very weak. It took longer than usual to recover. I spent most of the evening resting when I could, everything felt like such a great effort. It's such a marked contrast to how I was a month ago, when I was energised and happy after a run. In the evening, I spent a great deal of time thinking about Sunday. I added the Platt Fields 10km to my Fetch race portfolio weeks ago, but hadn't thought about it, focusing instead on my training for the half marathon. Especially with my 'dip', I kept putting off a decision about Platt Fields. I am concerned that I am not 'well' enough for it, a 10min run leaves me feeling weak, hollow and verging on fainting. My head is saying, do it; maybe it's the boost I need? I know I am motivated, I know I want to run, but my body doesn't feel the same way, maybe this race is what it needs, to move closer to being in synch with my head. I fmailed a fetchie to ask for more race information, though I pretty much have all the info to hand - this race is a definite maybe.

No comments: