Sunday, June 29, 2008

Race Day - Platt Fields 10km

Sunday: I didn't hear my alarm go off, was sleeping rather soundly compared to recently, but luckily the race wasn't due to start till 12pm. I awoke, again with doubts in my head over doing the race. It didn't matter to anyone if I didn't do it, I wasn't being sponsored or anything like that. I could just get back into bed, or rest on the sofa downstairs, watching the kids play. But it mattered to me, and somehow, I managed to push myself to focus. I didn't want to think about the race too much, too worried, and busied myself with cooking and cleaning. I felt tired and heavy, nowhere near the optimum pre-run state. But I kept an eye on the time and set about getting ready. I was pleased to wrangle a lift to the race, I wasn't in the mood to get 2 buses to the park. When I got there, it was rather cool and cloudy, getting warmer. I registered straight away, got my race number on, and there was absolutely no turning back now. A short warm-up walk, chatted to some friendly runners and then it began. This was a club race, 99% club runners, and they all shot off within seconds of the hooter. It's nice having some experience behind me; my first race was a club race and it had worried me seeing people run off, but I am used to it now, and it doesn't bother me, because I need to focus on me and not them. The race began well for me, I felt okay, breathless quickly but okay. I was running near two others, following one in the distance for a while, before losing sight completely for a long time, till the last mile. I had GO with me and drank a great deal very quickly; it was helpful, but not enough, I felt drained very quickly, and soon fell into a walk/run pattern. I was disappointed to walk, but I had no choice, I felt like I was running on empty. As soon as I felt something, I jumped back into running. The race marshalls were very nice, clapping and shouting words of support, as were complete strangers in the park. But I reached a real low point when I neared the end of the first big lap, knowing I had another 2 to go, and it felt impossible. I seriously considered quitting, I didn't want to walk/run, I felt awful physically and I felt so disappointed with myself. I was quite tearful :o( I was upset, the whole situation felt impossible, 10km felt like Everest. But I kept walking, and I thought, as long as I can keep going, isn't that the main point? A lot of thoughts crossed my mind - I thought of Kung Fu Panda (seriously...) and my injured runner friend, who within two days of a serious accident, made it to the finish line of the Great Edinburgh Run, on crutches and had a picture taken. That picture helped inspire me, and the words from Kung Fu Panda, about making the most of today, the present. It didn't matter that I had to walk, it mattered to me to finish, and not quit; realising that, I focused on my race and prayed silently to God to let me finish, still on my feet. It began to rain towards the end, He answered my prayers ;o) Around the last mile, I caught sight of the runner I saw ages ago; she stopped as I neared, asking if we were going the right way, as she had lost sight of the others and was worried. I assured her we were fine, just the last two. We chatted a little, as we were around the same speed by then and were soon joined by her friend, who had already finished. With a few hundred yards to go, the finishing line in sight, he encouraged her to do a final big push; I went all out, as much as I had in me, and was shocked to finish just 2 seconds ahead of her - second last again :o) My official time was 66mins 15seconds - I later realised, this was a new PB for me (!) I had been expecting around 80mins before I raced; during it, I was trying to keep it under 70mins (my GER time was 71mins). I was so shocked by my time, my best ever time, even though I had to walk a bit and I had so many low points. I recall a stich that kept nagging away at me, that slowed me down a lot. But I was over the moon with my time, and the sheer relief that I completed the 10km, I didn't quit :o) Despite it being a flat course, my legs struggled as if it was a steep uphill, and it felt so difficult compared to my previous two 10km races. But I did it, and I was ecstatic :o) Texts from my friend had boosted me during my race, support can make so much difference. I received a bottle of water at the end, no goody bag, which was disappointing but it didn't matter, because I was so happy to have completed the race and feeling well. Later in the day and in the evening, I was exhausted and a lot more fatigued than usual for my post-race state; I usually need a walk after I get home but today, I was dying to lie down and not move too much. This race has boosted me in a big way, I am so glad I did it :o)
Earlier this week, I ordered Fetch t shirts for myself and my injured friend, a surprise which I could not mention here (otherwise the surprise could have been ruined, obviously!). It was a surprise indeed, and a very welcomed and appreciated one, I am glad to know :o) I am looking forward to us wearing our t shirts for the Glasgow Half! I didn't wear it today, partly saving it for that race and partly because it was a little cold today so opted for my full sleeved top. But my friend was most disappointed and insisted I start wearing it, though mine is slightly tight (even more motivation to run, hehe). The Fetch t shirts have cheered both of us up, for similar and different reasons, amazing what a difference a t shirt can make :o)

No comments: