Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Working Through The 'Dip'

Wednesday: Family commitments always come first and it looked likely I wouldn't be able to run, but I managed to negotiate some time for it. My personal trainer had demanded an hour long run today but there was no time for that. I was enormously excited to run today, because it was raining :o) But of course, as luck would have it, the rain stopped completely by the time I got out to run! The run started off well, a lot of adrenaline since getting the time to run was hard and precious, so I ran like the wind. However, perhaps it was too fast, I couldn't sustain the speed, but I thought, no matter, slow down but got to keep going. Since time was tight, I had to go back home via an uphill route, which was very tough, and pretty much finished my run. It was like yesterday, I felt faint and the legs were giving way, even though it wasn't a hot day. I covered 1.56miles in 15mins 02secs. I was hugely disappointed not to run for at least 20mins, it feels ridiculous, when I know I have been able to run non-stop for at least an hour in the past. I don't think it's as much as case of having lost my 'running mojo' as something else. I know I am motivated, I know I am focused when I run, I have doubts it is a psychological issue. But at the same time, I am trying to address every physical issue - I am drinking lots of water, increasing my salt intake, eating healthy, getting more sleep etc. A friend suggested the tonsil infection I had has hit my fitness/stamina levels harder than I realise, though I am so reluctant to blame everything on that (I am used to not being well for a few days every few weeks, I've still managed to get fitter over these past few months). It's difficult for me right now, this 'dip', I hate not running like I used to. Tomorrow is a rest day, as I am busy with the interview panel, so the next run is on Friday. Plenty of time for contemplation, rolling up sleeves and growling at my recent form. Got to keep thinking positive, as I am always telling my injured runner friend, and know I can get through this (cue Rocky music).

No comments: