Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Healthier Steps

Monday: Resting after a very pleasing run yesterday. The right foot continues to ache strongly and I have booked an appointment to see the doctor on Thursday. Today was spent mostly cleaning and tidying, with the mil due to arrive this weekend. It was also the other half's birthday, no fuss today, though, as he was working and the trip to the cinema and Nando's a week ago was the treat. I did treat him to an Indian takeaway for dinner and I put aside my healthy eating for the occasion. It tasted okay but not as good as takeaway used to taste. Is this because I am so into healthy eating these days that I can't enjoy junk anymore? I doubt it, get a grip, I tell myself (hehe). It's a good sign though, when your body tells you to eat well, less of a battle like when I went though diets/health kicks in the past, and eating healthily was a struggle, a daily fight. That's not to say I don't eat rubbish at all, I'm just so pleased that I am choosing to eat granola and raisin cereal for breakfast, it's not as if it's being forced on me. My mother is often on the phone, pushing me to have a kind word with my overweight younger brother about his poor dietary habits; I have encouraged him to take up regular exercise, anything, doesn't have to be running, of course. But I can see how he thinks and why thinks that way, not wanting to eat healthily, not wanting to exercise, leading a sedentary lifestyle. It took someone dying to get me to take a long hard look at my weight and lifestyle; I don't know what it will take him to push him into getting fitter, hopefully not the same thing, maybe seeing how happy running makes me might help. I'll be staying with the family again for the Glasgow Half, a race that they both support and don't expect I can do; I have many moments I don't think I can do it either, but then I take it a day at a time when fear strikes. Slow and steady wins the race ;o)

No comments: