Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Unexpected News

Thursday: The plan was to run at the crack of dawn, because although I was supposed to run today, life got in the way (as it always does) and the only opportunity to run was before the school run. However, I switched the alarm off in my sleepiness and forgot all about getting up to run. Those crack of dawn runs back in February feel like a distant memory indeed! I have been napping a lot lately, despite getting enough sleep at night, the feeling of exhaustion is dragging on a bit. There is a lot on my mind plus other commitments that require a lot of my time and effort, so perhaps it is naturally that my running was going to go through a 'dip'. Still, I feel rather bouyed by the Platt Fields 10km, it's definitely given me a mental boost (though it's a physical boost I need more than anything). I heard today that my injured runner friend will need an operation to fix the knee, there is torn cartiledge which needs removing, plus physio :o( I was very sad to hear that an op is needed, really unexpected news because the knee seemed to be progressing very well. However, if that's what is necessary, then that is what is necessary for recovery. I am hoping that the op happens soon, along with the physio, to get my friend back into running action very soon. The plan was to do the Glasgow Half together, but this new development in the recovery process means that might not happen. But I am determined to keep training as best I can, and to keep my friend positive about recovery - I am always saying it, but it really is (scientifically proven to be) true, that negative thinking hampers recovery time. Two months to go yet to the race so every reason to be hopeful; the main thing is that the leg recovers fully, and there will always be other races if the leg needs more time to recover. Injuries are sad, awful things, but the fetch forums remind me that runners bounce back all the time from them, in time, stronger and better for the experience. Positive Mental Attitude indeed :o)

No comments: