Saturday, June 14, 2008

Pre-Race And A Silly Knee

Saturday: After another incredibly late night, I opted not to run today, partly to save myself for tomorrow's race. Oh, a race, finally! I had a lot of chores to do, so no time really for running anyway. But I am now nursing an aching right knee; I was dancing along to music as I was washing the dishes (as one does...) and was holding my (2 stone) son at the same time, moved suddenly, twisting my right knee :o( I didn't strictly twist it, I swung round one way whilst the leg went the other way, bearing the weight of my son on my right side. And good gosh it hurt, and it has been aching, verging on pain intermittently. I am really disappointed, this could affect me running tomorrow. Great trainer texted to remind me I am due a 25-35min run tomorrow, which fits fine with me doing the race (though it won't be the 'easy run' they suggest). I think I should be fine, I have been very careful with the knee since I hurt it, and I have that calf gel to rely on to ease the aches. After itching for so long to race, I don't plan on letting this stop me (hopefully!). It made me think a lot about my runner friend whose injured knee is the cause of the break in running, and is finding the recovery period an incredibly tough time. I started up a discussion in fetch asking fetchies how they coped with injury and how they came back from it, hoping it would help and be a positive thing. It's difficult watching fellow runners go through injury, it must be awful not being able to do what you enjoy so much. But reading the stories on the forum about how runners persevered, over long periods of time, and came back, never gave up, it really is inspiring, and I do hope my runner friend will be cheered by those stories. Tomorrow's my race, an early night tonight since it's a long journey to get there, but I am looking forward to it :o)

No comments: