Friday, June 13, 2008

Running and Race-Hunting

Thursday: The weather changed a lot overnight, it was very cloudy and a lot colder today - much to my delight :o) Sunny weather is all well and good when one isn't running, and I was pleased the sun was hiding this morning. My programme wanted me to have rest days between runs this week but I felt so much better after my cold and wanted to make the most of it. Again, I didn't carry a drink with me, wanting to see how I could cope without it. On one running forum, someone had said they were able to cope without a drink for up to 10miles, and the post was actually a little arrogant sounding (something about dismissing races of less than 10miles, I think), but that aside, it made me want to aspire to that level. Today's plan was a 25-35min run, and I did 30mins 06secs, covering 2.94miles. I was a little annoyed to discover I was just short of 3miles, I really ought to plan my routes more to make sure I am getting a good number of miles done (partly with that fetch challenge in mind). I was happy with today, I ran better and I felt better after I finished. My online trainer isn't as satisfied and expects me to be running longer sessions and doing higher mileages, though I am pretty much on track with the great trainer programme. I am disappointed I'm not doing the Race for Life on Sunday, I looked up other races and the only other alternative seems to be the Sale Festival 5 Mile on Saturday; it's very far and with petrol costs pinching tightly, I would have to bus it, but the other half is proving more obstacle than support in my running again. I'm pondering over doing this race, a 5 miler is no small thing, and maybe I haven't trained as much as I should have in preparation for a 5 miler. It's something I will sleep on before deciding, as I can enter on the day if I wish. For some reason, I am itching to race, something positive to look forward to for myself.

No comments: