Thursday, July 24, 2008

2 Feet Good...

Thursday: A very warm summer's day, the sun was blazing hot; not my choice of running weather. I kept putting off my run, hoping dark clouds would gather at some point and wash it all away, the damn heat. But the sun was stubborn, glaring down on Manchester for most of the day. It approached 6pm and I finally left the house to run, wearing my Fetch t shirt due to the heat, and having drank lots of water beforehand in preparation. I had a bag of old bread in hand, having promised the mil for days that I would feed the ducks with it. This was not a very good idea, running with a bag of bread; I managed to get rid of the bread after 11mins, throwing it whilst running (no idea if there were ducks around, was too busy avoiding running into people while throwing old bread over railings). Maybe due to the way I began, I never really got into a good rhythm today, it was a real struggle . I was very hot but it was the heaviness that was more of a pain; the biggest problem was the right foot. It ached from the start, quite strongly, which surprised me, since it was okay yesterday and before the run. The ache became pain, and got worse, making it a pretty awful run, quite horrible at times. I ended up cutting the run short because it hurt too much to carry on, quite close to tears, partly due to the pain, partly due to feeling disappointed with myself :o( I ended up limping home, no walk/run home today, just a slow limp, it hurt too much to walk normally. It was easier to move along with the foot bent, curled, so that all my weight bore down on the right side of the foot. I'm really not happy about this, I have a 10mile race in less than a week and a half, and I'm worried about my foot. At least I have a doctor's appointment booked for tomorrow, I really need to get this checked out for my peace of mind. I did 2.84miles in 29mins 24secs today, I recall ending the run thinking I had gone over 30mins, but my eyes were a little blurred by then, perhaps. I really hope the doctor can give me something for the foot, resting a lot isn't a good option for me right now, not with a 10mile race coming up, and so much training to do for the half marathon. 13.1 miles is an awful lot, I've never run more than 6.2 miles in one go, never gone above 66 odd minutes of continuous running, an injury would be devastating right now, I have so much training to do. Feeling really quite worried about the foot, it aches strongly and feels very sensitive to the touch. Have I overdone things? Good gosh, that sounds laughable to me, I'm not a very fast or competitive runner. During today's run, as I was struggling along and feeling like a big damn heifer, gritting my teeth over the aching right foot, two runners came from the opposite direction. They looked so happy and composed in their running, and like 'real runners'; the awfulness just deepened. My injured runner friend was recalling the other day how, when reaching the peak of running fitness, the skin changes and feels all soft and amazing; I instantly checked my skin, nope, nowhere near any peak. Runners world's magazine discussed how reaching the peak of fitness can take years, something I can take a little solace in, I suppose. I have noticed I have been really hungry the last couple of days (adding to me feeling so heavy? I dare not check the weight scales right now). And chocolate, good gosh, really craving chocolate, and eating lots of sugary snacks, perhaps my sugar levels are funny right now. But it's the foot that is worrying me, I do hope I haven't made it worse, whatever it is, plantar fasciitis or whatever it could be. Definitely making the appointment tomorrow, just nervous that I might get told to rest the foot (silent prayers for the damn foot).

No comments: