Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Children's Aid 10km Fun Run

Sunday: I awoke to a warm and sunny day, with cool winds. I thought myself fairly organised but I didn't count on the mil factor; porridge-d up, bag packed with snacks and drinks, I left late, with the mil calling out something about my insides falling out if I ran too hard (nice image). One can ascertain from her words that she does not and will never condone my running. However, with the other half at work, I was just glad that she was here (a rare moment to feel that way), as without her to watch the kids, I could not have made my 6th race. So off I went, or rather, panicking I went, half sprinting to the park, eye on the watch, desperate to make it in time. I was a relieved little bunny to make it to the registration point, panting already. The turnout was lower than I expected, maybe 100 runners for the 10km (there had been a 2km at 11am, perhaps that had a higher turnout). I paid my £10 entry fee happily, my contribution to charity and reducing the selfishness of it all ;o) I was pleased to see they organised a mass warm-up, we even salsa-ed to get us going (hilarious!) and right up to the starting gun, I was cheered on by supportive texts from my injured friend :o) There was a lovely atmosphere, that's what I like about fun runs, people laughing, the buzz of people being there for the fun of it. Usually, I start around the back but this time, partly encouraged by my friend, I thought it best to start nearer the front, since, surely, most folk were going to be walk/run-ing and there would be many folk slower than me? Well, that was a silly presumption... I set off and was immediately overtaken by lots of runners, whooshing past, which really surprised me. But I wasn't bothered by it, perhaps used to it from the few club races I have done, so kept going at my own pace. We began slightly uphill, then a nice downhill slope, moving onto flatter ground for a bit. As I reached the 1km, I was rather dismayed to realise the course would be very hilly, these were park areas I avoided due to their undulations! At that point, a runner caught up with me and stayed with me till around the 7km mark. Caroline was a new runner like me and I actually enjoyed having someone to run with. We encouraged the other to push ahead if necessary, but truth be told, that was the pace that suited us. Talking (something like it, while panting and puffing) was a great help to keep the mind off the tough undulations and to help the time fly. At the 5km mark, I felt strong and well, grabbing a bottle of water being handed out, trying to smile for some guy taking race photos (goodness knows how red and sweaty I was by then). At 7km, Caroline had to walk, and I carried on alone. It was, despite being annoyingly tough in areas, a very scenic route, parts of the park I had never seen before. I kept reminding myself to stay at a steady pace, to last the 10km without walking, which was so tempting when the sun was in my face and the uphill slopes were hellish. Thankfully, there was a nice downhill, before the uphill before the finishing line. I knew this wouldn't be a PB after the 9km mark, I was giving it all I had left in me, but I wasn't going to beat 66mins 15secs; I knew I could finish the race without stopping, though, and crossing the finishing line at 66mins 57secs, I felt exhilirated :o) A lovely shiny medal and a goody bag with snacks, oh yes, this is what I run for, really ;o) I congratulated Caroline as she crossed the finish minutes after me, shaving at least 7mins off her last 10km, the joy on her face and others was indescribable. We plan to keep in touch, it is lovely to meet runners who run for similar reasons and are at a similar pace. For once, I got my picture taken at the finish line (though it is rather awful, I may never do that again!). I got some balloons and teddies for the kids before I headed home, feeling enormously pleased with myself :o) Later, I celebrated as usual with my post-race drink of choice (Irn Bru). The right leg felt very stiff and achey as the evening wore on, the right foot ached a little too, but it was mainly the leg that ached strongly. The post-race analysis with my friend was a joy, my 6th race, gosh, I cannot believe I have done that many within 7 months of starting to run. And I ran it non-stop, wahey! Feeling really very proud about that, I have had a very up-and-down time with training recently, and today just made it all so worthwhile. I feel really positive about the half marathon, I really want to do it and give it my all. Looking ahead with a big grin on my face :o)

No comments: